- Viet-Nam (School Publications Branch, Dept of Education 1963).
- Six Colonies in One Country: New Zealand, 1840-1860 illustrated by Stephen Furton (Govt Printer, 1965).
- The Runaway Settlers illustrated by Antony Maitland (Jonathan Cape; Blackwood & Janet Paul 1965).
- The End of the Harbour illustrated by Katarina Mataira (Jonathan Cape; Blackwood & Janet Paul 1968).
- Growing Points and Prickles: New Zealand 1920-60 illustrated by Cath Brown (Whitcombe and Tombs 1971).
- Snow to Low Levels: Interaction in a Disaster (Whitcoulls 1976).
- The Boy with the Snowgrass Hair with Ken Dawson, illustrated by Jean Oates, maps by Cath Brown (Whitcoulls 1976).
- Explorer Zach illustrations by David Waddington (Pumpkin Press 1978).
- A Land without Taxes: New Zealand from 1800 to 1840 (School Publications Branch, Dept of Education 1979).
- Journey Under Warning illustrated by Margaret Chapman, maps by Libby Plumridge (Oxford University Press 1983).
- A Canoe in the Mist illustrated by John Shelley (Jonathan Cape 1984).
- The Kauri and the Willow: How We Lived and Grew from 1801-1942 (Government Printer 1984).
- Two Peoples, One Land: A History of Aotearoa/New Zealand Especially for Younger Readers (GP Books 1988).
- Joe’s Ruby illustrated by Gary Hebley (Cape Catley 1995).
- CLA Services to Children’s Literature Award 1992 (now the Storylines Betty Gilderdale Award).
- Storylines Margaret Mahy Award 1995.
- AIM Children’s Book Awards 1996 Non-fiction Honour Award for Joe’s Ruby.
- Storylines Gaelyn Gordon Award 1999 for The Runaway Settlers.