It’s been another fantastic year for the Elsie Locke Writing Prize!
The topic for 2020 was, “Life as a new New Zealander” and we had lots of fun reading the entries. You can read more about this year’s topic, competition rules, and what the judges look for, as well as suggestions for teachers, in the entry form.
The winning entry was highly original, expertly written, and demonstrated both heart and humour.
Congratulations to Heidi Wang from Kohia Terrace School!
Heidi’s story, “Far from Home” was instantly engaging, and we enjoyed reading it. Congratulations, Heidi!
We would also like to acknowledge nine other writers, whose entries were outstanding:
- Karthiga Raveenthiran, Farm Cove Intermediate School
- Zakkai Masoe, Postgate School
- Nora Caffery, Saint Kentigern Girls’ School
- Siu Ala, Brandon Intermediate School
- Nadia Zintl, St Mary’s School, Blenheim
- Siina Cooke, Whangaparaoa College
- Sophie Steffens, Halswell School
- Kyla Chen, Tauranga Intermediate
- Lauren McKenzie, Southland Girls’ High School
“Far from Home” was published in the Level 4 School Journal, November 2020. You can read Heidi’s story and winning stories from other years at Writing Prize winners.
A big thanks to every student who submitted a story and to the teachers who supported their students throughout the writing process.
See you next year!